Our family is finally investing in young Chickens.
Wife and I talked about raising chickens for years, and frankly, I do not know what made us wait so long. We carried out our study, buy books, we saw on the internet, go to the library and decided that this year we are extending our renewable food.
Eggs contain a lot of nutrients, but “chicken ecosystem” as a whole is an incredible source of food, eggshells can be crushed and take added calcium, the shell can be added to compost and chicken manure can be used As fertilizer the garden. Best of all, raise their own chickens, which control the health and quality of eggs consumed.
The eggs, the Chickens eggs
I love eggs. You can catch them, fry, cook a cake with them, boil, or wait until they go bad, and throw them at the tough kids in the neighborhood. Thats a joke. If one day you wake up and find out you’re on your own, if the chickens will be a relief. The eggs themselves are an excellent source of protein and essential fats. On average, for each chicken that has, you will place an egg a day.
I have included this simple recipe that can be done in a situation where it can be if you have Ziploc bags for freezer. If you have a garden or eat canned food, which can be used, only one protein packed with nutritious food will be offered.
Tortilla in a bag
2 slices of cut ham (optional)
Grated cheese 1/2 cup (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped onion (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
2 tablespoons fresh tomatoes, chopped
1. Break the eggs into a removable pocket freezer. Tightening the most air and are closed. Shake or squeeze beat the eggs. Open the bag and add the ham, cheese, onion, green pepper, tomato sauce and mushrooms. Press the air as much as possible, and seal the bag.
2. Put a large saucepan of water to a boil. 8 bags are placed in a time in boiling water. Cook 13 minutes exactly. Open the bag and leave the tortilla on a plate. Scrambled eggs should be easy to rotate.
Mmmm, Give me more of that egg, please
Let me break the benefits that I have examined, eggshells for overwhelming calcium added. My mother does not get calcium. Even if you are satisfied with your calcium Centrum at this time, it is very helpful to know if everything goes wrong, and driving to your local CVS to pick up your supplements is no longer a dream. Calcium is important for proper functioning of the body, as well as for strengthening teeth and bones.
Source: Alimentée Magazine
How to Make Eggshell Powder:
Wash the empty eggshells in lukewarm water until all the egg is not removed, but do not remove the membrane because it contains important nutrients for joints that help arthritis.
Put the pieces on paper towels and let dry in the air.
Beat the eggshells into small pieces and crushed into a fine powder in a food processor, blender, coffee grinder or nut or placed in a plastic bag and using a rolling mill. Note that some blenders do not grind the eggshells like a fairly fine powder. Coffee grinder works best.
Keep the eggshell powder in a glass vial or a closed container. Keep it in a dry place, like the closet.
As getting calcium from eggshell (forming calcium citrate) takes 3 hours:
Place 1/2 teaspoon of shell in the dish (about 4 to 5 1/2 1/2 inches in diameter). 1/2 teaspoon is about 400 mg of elemental calcium.
Add 1/2 lemon juice (fresh) and mix well, start bubbling and foaming, and this should happen.
Leave it at room temperature for 6 hours, time will leave less hard, but do not leave for more than 12 hours.
He can take a spoon and sip of water and then wash. This is not a bitter taste. In fact, taste pretty good.
In addition to taking 400 mg of magnesium citrate at the same time.
If you do not use for the calcium of your eggshells, that will probably add to the compost to add calcium to your crop. Like tomatoes. Put a little crushed on the eggshells base of their growing peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, to keep the slugs and larvae. If you are trying to attract the birds in your Please put wrinkled or near the feeding shell. Carpenters, especially, love, and do not allow them to peck a hole in the side of his house at 5am.
Chicken manure makes great fertilizer for your garden. Nevertheless, you never want to add directly to your soil because it is too strong. Here are some tips to deal with chicken manure.
- Collect manure and bedding. We use pine shaving for bedding. It is approximately $5 per cubic yard. You can also use sawdust, dry leaves, or straw to provide a dry cushion for chickens and to control odor and pests. The coop bedding can be collected with the manure and dumped into a composting bin.
- Use a “hot compost” recipe. By adding water, it will cause the pile to heat up. It is recommend that the compost pile heat to 130-150 degrees F and maintain that temperature for 3 days. Heating is necessary to destroy pathogens but temperatures above 160 degrees F can kill beneficial microorganisms and slow the process. To help you achieve appropriate temperature you can purchase a compost temperature gauge from a local nursery.
- Repeat the heating process. Once the center of your compost pile has reached the required temperature for three days it will start to cool. After it cools, pull the center apart and move the core material to the edges and bring the edge material into the center to heat. For 1 cubic yard of material repeat the process of bringing edges into the core at least 3 times.
- Let it cure. Monitor the pile and once you are satisfied that the entire contents of your bin has been heated, loosely cover and let cure for 45-60 days before using. It’s ready when most material is dark, crumbly and sweet-smelling like soil.
- Add to garden. You can add the resulting compost to your vegetable garden or flower bed by spreading it on the surface or by gently working it into existing soil.
Manure Safety Tips. Fresh chicken manure can contain pathogens that can contaminate root vegetables (carrots, radishes, beets) and leaves (lettuce, spinach), therefore it does not favor unfixed manure in your garden. The “Safety Tips” are summarized in the “protection” gardening program provided by Washington State University:
Only it applies manure from the soil or known compost.
Always wash your hands after handling the manure.
Wash raw vegetables before eating.
Good things can come in small spaces
If you live on a small plot of land is concerned, you do not have a place, do not worry. Chickens need very little space and take as long as necessary because it will invest in a dog or cat. In fact, I dare say that chickens takes much less time to take care of our cat. Our family loves cats the cold ice water twice a day, constantly hungry and enjoys breaking on the mat, because she eats too fast. And before someone contact me to diagnose any illness that could cause this bad habit, are not. She is in perfect health. I remember every day when I look down, if it will be a real pet, she lays her eggs. I move away from the subject.
We decided not to buy a rooster, because we are not yet interested in creating young chickens, and we realized that our neighbors are not crazy about early morning snowshoeing. However, if you have a large piece of land, maybe the right key. Protect chickens and can defend themselves against predators.
When you are ready to buy
Ok, now I am convinced that if you do not buy chickens at this time, you are sure to perish. Can you order on Amazon? Not now. We bought ours for the local supply of the tractor. We were able to walk and pick the exact breed and point to a specific chicken as our newcomers looked as if they were growing up to be a mighty chicken, which could throw giant colored eggs in abundance. On the other hand, my sister, bought online on My Pet Chicken. There is a lot of information about species and their different qualities
An excellent guide to chickens and their many breeds is at http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/breed-list.aspx